Interesting facts about Bulgaria:
- Wine - Bulgaria has been in the wine business for over 1,200 years. The taste and quality of the Bulgarian wine is world class. Wine has been known in the land of Bulgaria since ancient times. Archaeology, folklore, and literature provide ample evidence that wine grapes have thrived in these lands ever since the late Stone Age.
- The Atanasoff-Berry Computer was the world's first electronic digital computer. It was built by John Vincent Atanasoff, with Bulgarian origin, and Clifford Berry at Iowa State University during 1937-42.
- Sofia is the biggest and the most developed city and district in Bulgaria. Founded seven thousand years ago, Sofia is the second oldest city in Europe.
- “Name Days" are celebrated in addition to birthdays in Bulgaria. As a matter of fact, most Bulgarians value their ”Name Day” more than their birthday. A “Name Day”, or "Saint’s Day" is celebrated by people named after a particular Saint.
- When Bulgarians nod their heads up and down, they mean NO. When they move their heads from side to side, they mean YES.